As devastating as the damage caused by Hurricane Ike last week is, what is equally alarming is the growing number of deaths from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning that have occurred as a result of improper use of portable generators after the storm.

Last week the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a warning about the dangers posed by improper use of portable generators after Hurricane Ike, and the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) issued a similar warning. Both agencies – as well as several other life safety organizations – have urged the use of CO sensing, detection and notification devices to help protect America's families from falling victim to CO poisoning.

As hurricane season continues and ice storms and other winter weather will soon be knocking on our doors, please remember to use portable generators properly and have your furnace serviced by a professional. And don't forget to install CO devices and protect yourself and your family from the "silent killer."


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*


× nine = 72

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>