NEMAVue Video's on YouTube

Storm Reconstruction: Rebuild Smart - Reduce Outages, Save Lives, Protect Property

ANSI Z535 Standards

eicareers Career Center

NEMA Currents

Mulching Lawn Mowers - Better than sliced bread

Three weeks ago I purchased a new Troy-Built lawn mower with mulching capabilities. My old lawn mower was still in good condition, but it wasn't designed to mulch the grass. I could either bag the grass clippings every time I cut the grass, or I could leave big clumps of grass on my lawn. I decided it was time for me to try a new lawn mower. I'm not sold that this lawn mower is the best one on the market, but it does a relatively good job. I checked Consumer Reports before I purchased the mower, but the Consumer Report ratings were not very helpful. All of the push lawn mowers I was considering had the same "mulching" rating of average. A couple of the lawn mowers got better ratings on some other features, but then the reliability seemed to decline on these lawn mowers. In short, I was stuck with just buying one to try it out.

I purchased the Troy-Built, 21 inch push mower with a Honda engine from Lowe's.  http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=home Lowe's has a great brochure on lawn mowers that helps you decide which type of lawn mower is best for the size and slope of your yard. Although the mower came in a box, all I had to do was connect the handle, add oil and gas and pull the cord. Much to my surprise, the engine started on the first pull and has started the first time since then. The bag systems works very well. Although the mulching systems doesn't work perfectly, it does a good job, particularly given that my grass is relatively thick and is growing quickly during the Spring.

The big environmental bonus was when I left for work this morning. I noticed that many of my neighbors had 8-10 big bags of grass clippings out by the curb, while I had ZERO bags of grass clippings. All of a sudden, my new purchase seemed very GREEN. If you purchased a new mulching lawn mower recently, please let me know your experience.

Posted 05-05-2008 3:18 PM by Caskey, John

Comments

S. Choinski wrote re: Mulching Lawn Mowers - Better than sliced bread
on 05-06-2008 11:18 AM

8-10 bags of clippings seem to be a lot for an average lawn.  I typically generate 1-2 bags for my lawn, though this was eliminated by starting a compost pile.

Caskey, John wrote re: Mulching Lawn Mowers - Better than sliced bread
on 05-08-2008 3:11 PM

Thanks for your comment S. Choinski. The lots in my neighborhood are typically about 1/3 acre. Plus the warm weather and plentiful rains have helped the grass grow quicker than normal. Some neighbors did only have a couple of bags, but several had 8-10 bags stacked at the curb.

John wrote re: Mulching Lawn Mowers - Better than sliced bread
on 05-31-2008 12:37 PM

Great site and useful content!

mulching lawnmower wrote mulching lawnmower
on 07-08-2008 8:08 PM

Pingback from  mulching lawnmower

Mary Smith wrote re: Mulching Lawn Mowers - Better than sliced bread
on 08-11-2010 12:56 AM

Really interesting article. I tried many times this mower, it's work properly and it is one of the best in market. Some people also requires this mower. I like this article.

American exceptionalism human right - American convention - American right wrote American exceptionalism human right - American convention - American right
on 09-07-2010 7:52 AM

Pingback from  American exceptionalism human right - American convention - American right

Flax seed oil fertility - Barleans flax - Flax seed oil wrote Flax seed oil fertility - Barleans flax - Flax seed oil
on 09-14-2010 6:09 PM

Pingback from  Flax seed oil fertility - Barleans flax - Flax seed oil

mountfieldlawnmower wrote re: Mulching Lawn Mowers - Better than sliced bread
on 11-12-2010 4:02 AM

Buy lawnmowers, lawn tractors and garden equipment Direct from Mountfield Lawnmowers for next day delivery.

lawn maintenance Phoenix wrote re: Mulching Lawn Mowers - Better than sliced bread
on 04-10-2011 9:34 PM

Having a beutiful and healthy lawn takes time and dedication. It would also require the right kind of lawn equipment to be able to de-thatch or other procedures needed.

Wholesale Mulch wrote re: Mulching Lawn Mowers - Better than sliced bread
on 11-04-2011 12:08 PM

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to viewing more on these mulching lawn mowers! I'm trying to have my garden look a bit better, I think this will help!