Amazing Facts about DICOM
DICOM is the name of a very unusual standard. You won't be surprised to learn that this name is an acronym for Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine. However, you might be surprised to learn that the DICOM Standard:
- Has proved itself over a 15 year period. (This standard really works.)
- Is the world's only standard for medical imaging.
- Covers virtually every medical specialty that uses imaging.
- Is expanded and maintained by a network of 26 separate working groups.
- Benefits from the input of about 1100 persons who participate on these 26 working groups.
- Grows through the addition of approximately one major supplement every month.
- Receives about 150 minor updates (Correction Items) every year.
- Is updated four to five times each year.
- Contains 3600 pages.
- Is managed by an independent, international committee consisting of 27 vendors, 13 professional societies, and 10 government agencies or trade associations.
AND BEST OF ALL
It's available for free on the Internet.
11-12-2008 3:52 PM